Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Postlight
How Postlight is working toward building a better industry and world.
Postlight is a strategy, design, and engineering firm. We partner with the world’s best organizations to build digital platforms that serve millions of people. We are builders, and we have a responsibility not only to build great digital products, but a better technology industry and world.
While fully addressing the effects of systemic racism, sexism, homophobia, and bias is an undertaking that extends well beyond our company, we are committed to efforts that support diversity, equity, and inclusion at Postlight and beyond. All of these efforts are ongoing, and a continual work in progress.
Second, in 2020, we established an employee-led Action Committee that donated $300,000+ volunteer hours to non-profits dedicated to driving positive change toward people in the Black community. In 2021, the Action Committee evolved into an Action Framework for Postlight’s Employee Resource Groups to donate time and resources to the organizations driving change we care about.
Finally, on our team, we value representation. Women, people of color, veterans, and members of the LGBTQIA+ community are partners, directors, and managers at Postlight.
To work toward building a more diverse team and a more inclusive environment, we:
- Advertise openings on job boards which specifically target underrepresented communities, including: POC in Tech, NSBE (National Society of Black Engineers), Women in Tech, Women in Product, Women Who Code, and Hire Tech Ladies.
- Host events for community outreach and recruiting purposes, and offer our office space to groups after-hours at no cost. In the past, Postlight has hosted Girl Develop It, Black Girls Code, Ladies Get Paid, and Code Interactive. In the works, Postlight is partnering with The Harlem Children’s Zone to do a presentation for students as part of their four-part entrepreneurial skills series with a focus on idea generating.
- Publish and enforce an Event Code of Conduct which communicates that Postlight events are a safe and welcoming space for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, physical ability and appearance, age, race, ethnicity, and religion (or lack thereof).
- Compensate applicants for time taken completing our code or design challenge to help make it possible for more candidates to complete their application.
- Hold regular employee education sessions around issues of identity, empathy, inclusion, and bias. We established a public, company-wide Slack channel for ongoing discussions around diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Encourage all employees to share their pronouns and to use their colleagues’ correct pronouns.
- Host a growing array of internal Employee Resource Groups including: BLK, Caregivers, Environment, Immigrants, Jewish, LGBTQIA+, MIND (Mental Inclusivity + Neurodiversity) and Underrepresented Genders.
Postlight’s mission and values states:
We share the responsibility of creating a respectful and inclusive environment. Whoever they are — managers, peers, teammates, applicants, employees, clients, prospects, or guests — unequivocally welcome, support, and celebrate anyone who supports us in our goals. All races, ethnicities, gender identities, gender expressions, sexual orientations, physical abilities, physical appearances, socioeconomic backgrounds, educational backgrounds, nationalities, ages, religions, and beliefs are welcome. As often as possible, tell the world that all are welcome here. Constructively address behaviors that are not in the spirit of our values, accept constructive feedback, and if necessary raise concerns to Human Resources. Advocate for what is fair to all.
To get in touch with us about diversity, equity, and inclusion at Postlight and beyond, send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated: August 6, 2021